Friday, August 11, 2023

Planes, Training, and No Automobile

 I moved out of Maryland at the end of March, getting into our new house in early April of this year and since then, I've been back to Maryland FOUR times. Three of these trips were to teach the same class which normally would be done in one week, but on this current trip, will be stretched over two - including two Saturdays - due to the needs of the client. 

So, two weeks away from my new home. Fine. This time, instead of the economy airport-adjacent digs, I'm in Columbia, my room literally looking over Color Burst Park near Merriweather. My hotel is not really a hotel as much as two floors of a brand new apartment building that is not yet occupied, so no hotel amenities like daily maid service, but I have a kitchen so that's something. There's also no cable or satellite so streaming is the only TV and it's tricky when your registered address is in another state. Turns out I have to stream on my phone and mirror to the TV if I want to catch Only Murders in the Building. Or Justified: City Primeval. And I do want - both of those, so I make it work.

I'd flown in over the business park and neighboring quarry that I'd featured in White Noise, so perhaps the annoyance at Columbia's curvy roads, hidden businesses, and all-around retention I'd captured in that story made a home in the back of my mind. 



Quarry viewed from the plane

My temporary home is, at least new, and I'd scored a view over Color Burst Park. There are a few restaurants and an ice creamery, so I was optimistic. One is a favorite - Busboys and Poets, part of a local chain serving good food in a hip, socially-conscious location with a bookshop and some live events. I headed there after checking in and dropping my bags. Checking in meant finding my way through several security points to a random apartment on the fourth floor which serves as the reception area of sorts, much like model homes are often the business offices for new communities. The hallways are long and quiet, as if the building is empty and maybe not really open yet. But, my little one bedroom is cute, clean, and as I mentioned before, overlooks the park with its splash pad, umbrellas large astroturf lawn, and surrounding businesses. 


The apartment building where my "hotel" is located



Color Burst Park 
There is a patch of real grass with a large turf area beyond. The building in the very back is Busboys and Poets



BB&P was busy, but they sat me right away, tucked away behind the bar near the kitchen window. It was a little while before I realized that no one had noticed me there. No amount of waving at staff by the kitchen or the server assisting the other nearby tables seemed to get anyone's attention. After about 15 minutes, I had to go back to the host stand (and I almost just kept walking) to see if I had a server assigned. Turns out to have been the server I'd tried to flag down before. I wish I could say that my experience turned around from that point, but it really didn't.  That said, the food really is terrific and the shop is cute and interesting, so I still recommend, but I'll be doing carry-out this trip.

I arrived here on a Sunday evening, so I am surprised at how loud this little neighborhood has been (and continues to be) especially as the majority of the first floor commercial spaces are not yet up and running.  IT'S LOUD. Screaming kids playing soccer late into the night, sirens, an absurd number of rumbling muscle cars, and six am leaf blowers. IT'S ASTROTURF. My windows are not very sound insulating. 


This effing machine is crazy loud

The unopened businesses are a bummer, too because they look like they'll be cool. A nail spa, a steak place, Mighty Quinn's BBQ (the creator is a frequent judge on Beat Bobby Flay), a Japanese BBQ place (intrigued), a video game bar/restaurant (hell no), and a gourmet coffee and croissant spot (yes, please). There is a standalone building at one end of the park called Toastique, a purveyor of fancy "toasts" - literally gourmet things stacked on a slice of rustic bread, served on a wooden paddle.  Like Food Network fancy. Not my thing, BUT, they have an acai bowl that is near perfection. It's the right size, it has the necessary strawberries and bananas, granola, blueberries, honey drizzle (which I usually asked them to skip) and COCOA NIBS. The cocoa nibs are the revelatory ingredient that has me coming back for this acai bowl every day as either my breakfast or lunch. 

I mean - look at how delicious that's gonna be!


For extra fun, most are under construction behind the scrim, so add more jackhammering, air compressors, and general pandemonium

My building from Toastique as I picked up yet another delicious acai bowl.

There's also a Banditos - another chain, that serves "Tacos and Tequila." My first visit wasn't the best through no fault of theirs, I just can't handle their regular house margarita - like I couldn't drink it. A couple of sips and I scraped the last of the queso out of my little cup with the chips, paid my bill, and left without even ordering an entree. (Note: "Entree" seems like the wrong word here - it's tacos, and you pick them individually. This is not "Chi Chi's")  In spite of my failure to handle their simplest margarita, I tried again last night, opting for an orange crush (still made with tequila, though orange-flavored, and I sub soda water for the Sprite) and a trio of tacos.  Heaven!  Five stars! I'll be back!


Amazing


Really good

Anyway, I did not get a rental car as the distance is just a little over half a mile around Merriweather Post Pavilion and I figured the steps might contribute to a work trip glow up. There's always Uber if the weather is bad or it gets too dark, right? Well, I watch too much Dateline for walking about in the city, loaded down with my purse and computer backpack without anxiety. I actually heard a cough from the woods on one trip back to my rooms - yikes! But, I've been lucky with the weather - not as hot as I expected for a Maryland August and there's usually a breeze. It appears that MPP is preparing for a show tonight, so at least I won't be a solitary pedestrian on my way back after class this evening. I'll probably be able to experience the show from inside my apartment, whether I want to or not. Perhaps I'll stop for two orange crushes first.


















No comments:

Post a Comment